Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Discipleship Stories


We would love to hear from you! Please click on "comments" below and share a current or recent discipleship story with us. This could be an accountability partner experience, a mentoring experience, or an opportunity you have had or are having to disciple somebody. Please share with us what it has been like, what God has taught you through this, what God is doing in your and others' lives, what has worked for you and/or what has not worked for you, etc. Let's encourage, edify, and pray for each other in our quest to BE and MAKE disciples!

3 comments:

Bryan and Lori said...

I have enjoyed a variety of discipleship/mentoring experiences recently with a wide range of people - from un-believers to new believers to mature believers. I love the way the Lord uses all these experiences in my own life as well as, hopefully, in the lives of the other people. As I give my time, experience, etc. to others, God gives back to me. As others give their time, experience, etc. to me, God gives back to them. We all grow together "as iron sharpens iron." The Lord is allowing me to see in a new way how all my relationships, including my marriage and children, are really discipleship relationships. It has been neat to see it from that perspective, and I am looking forward to continuing to learn and grow in my journey with others. - Bryan

Anonymous said...

As I look back on my own life, I quickly realize how many people intentionally took time to invest in me-both in formal and informal ways. Even though many times were just informal, the time spent with me was very intentional. If you were to ask me--"Has anyone ever discipled you?" I would have to say that MANY have discipled and mentored me. I can't really look back at any one person and say "they alone discipled/mentored me". God has placed many godly people in my path during various seasons of my life just when I needed them. Some of them are YOU as a part of the CAMEX family! Thank you!

Now as I look toward the intentional focus upon disciplehip within all of CAM, I ask myself what persons is God placing in my life to impart what God has been teaching me. I'm excited as I look toward the future and the opportunity to be more intentational in living as Christ's disciple and helping others in that journey. -Bob

Anonymous said...

Discipleship Ministry by Daniel Kendal

Much of my discipleship ministry in San Juan del Rio has turned toward mentoring men who are becoming church leaders. Several years ago I had personal discipleship classes with several of these men and their wives, on an individual basis. It has been a joy to watch them grow in their spiritual maturity and their dedication to serve the Lord and to become faithful to Him.

When I become their mentors, I am involved less in a formal teaching format. Now it is more about sharing my life and outlook on ministry. As problems come up in the church, I share ideas on how to handle them and encourage the men to take the initiative in helping others in the church to deal with their problems. Not every situation will turn out as we desired and there are cases which require prayer for God’s working in the lives of people. I have learned that often times it is only God who can bring the changes and no amount of my intervention will make a difference. I need to be patient and trust God to work.

One encouraging discipleship opportunity came with the daughter and new son-in-law of one of our church leaders. Alter they were married last fall, they asked Beverly and I to give them Bible studies on marriage that would help them become strong in their marriage relationship right from the beginning. They have responded well to the studies and they appreciate our sharing lessons from our own lives. It is much easier to help a couple before there are major problems in the marriage, rather than having to repair a broken marriage relationship. This experience encourages us to help couples stay strong in their marriage relationship by giving them the tools for ongoing marriage unity.